Monday, May 16, 2011

Journal #1: Who Are You?

One

I chose this picture to most accurately portray myself because of the message it sends about culture barriers. Living back in America after so long has really sent me into quite a culture shock. While I am accustomed to being polite, well-mannered, and just plain respectful to people (since that is the Japanese way- "treat others the way you want to be treated"), I found that a lot of the people I have met in the U.S. are standoffish, blunt, and do things solely for self gain. It was a rude awakening, and I had to adjust very quickly, since my family is still stuck in Japan for the next two-three years. I'm still not sure if I have adjusted completely, but going to college on my own has definitely made me stronger as an individual, and has helped me gain more knowledge about who I am and where that can take me and my career as a graphic designer in the future.

Two

I chose this picture to portray how I thought other people would define me because in a nutshell, this is how I would guess that I looked to other people: busy. I am always running around with a million things to do, but I am never frantic, just out of time. I like to plan things, keep a schedule, and then FOLLOW that schedule. I probably don't seem like the most adventurous person in the world, because I'm not in that generic, cliff-jumping/skydiving/rockclimbing sort of way. In my own way though, I like to think that I take risks. I'm always open to travel to new places, try random foods even if they don't look good. On one of my rare days off, I will get lost on the train and find a new city that I've never been to. But not many people see that side of me, only my close friends and family. So to others, I would say that I seem busy and constantly preoccupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment