Monday, May 23, 2011

Journal #5: Our Janitor Does Not Look Like That!

Boys Bathroom

Girls Bathroom

Fire Extinguisher

Janitor's Closet

Executive Washroom

Parking Garage

Exit

So for this assignment we had to "reinvent" the icons for certain signs by "adding art to the space." There's nothing I love more in art than colors, and the use of colors that complement each other in unique ways so that is what I tried to incorporate into my new signs. We couldn't use the traditional boy/girl signs so I decided to bring in the male/female symbols as well as a mop for the janitors closet, flames for the fire extinguisher, a car for the parking garage, and a beloved ARROW for the exit sign just to make sure I incorporated something from the previous journal entry.
I tried to use different, detached shapes and create images by arranging the placement of each shape so that it was next to a corresponding one in the overall image. I also added a colorful pattern in the background of each image, so I was able to incorporate other colors. I hoped to achieve emphasis by color, making my subjects a color that would contrast with the others in the background and stand out. I guess it can also be considered anomaly in the way that with boys/girls bathroom, executive washroom, and exit, the center symbols are all solid and not broken up like the parking garage, fire extinguisher, and janitor's closet signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment