Monday, May 30, 2011

Journal #14: Papyrus- Good or Bad?

So I looked around Chatan and Naha (two cities over here in Okinawa) and I couldn't find a single example of Papyrus text anywhere. Maybe the Japanese just aren't as fond of it as Americans are?
It wasn't until I was looking up a line of backpacks that are only made in Japan that I actually saw Papyrus being used for something Japanese- a website ( http://nanamica.com/ ).
I even tried looking in magazines and newspapers, but I guess that font is pretty hard to apply to kanji because I didn't find it there either.
What I did notice is that Japanese people favor really cartoonish, bubble-letters...you know, the kind that were popular in like 6th grade.
I guess I would say that this is a good thing. NOT that they have bubble letters everywhere (aside from corporate buildings, where they use plain, straight text), but that there isn't a heavy use of the Papyrus font here. I was never a fan of Papyrus, it was always too thin for my liking.. But I am definitely going to look out for it once I get back to school, I never noticed how much it was used!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! Do you notice any unique trends with typefaces over there?

    ReplyDelete